There are several ways to link to your social media profiles on your website. If you are not handy with html then you might want to go for the easy option and install a WordPress plugin like Social media page that will link to over 100 websites. Simply install the plugin, acitvate and go to the settings page, add your profiles and in some cases additional information. You can then add your list as a widget in the side bar or add it to a page.
The other option is to add icons with html and link them to your social media profiles. A great site is Icon Dock, which recently updated their icon pack with Hyves (Dutch networking site) and FourSquare icons. Komodo Media also has a rich and refined social media icon pack for all major websites.
Maybe you are not yet familiar with html, why not give it a go? There are heaps of websites (like divageeks.com) where you can find links to free icon resources. Why not make your icons look different than everybody else’s! If you are ready to take the plunge into your first html experiment follow the steps after the jump.
How to add a hyper-link to an image in your WordPress sidebar
- Upload the image (icon) to the WordPress media library
- Copy the ‘file link’ at the bottom of the upload page
- Copy this html code
- Add a ‘text widget’ to your WordPress sidebar
- Paste the html code into the ‘text widget’
- Replace the image link with the ‘file link’
- Replace the ‘hyperlinkcode.com’ link with your social media profile link
- Save the new text widget
- Refresh your website page to see the changes
Let me know how you got on and if you know of any other must see icon resources in the comments.